When Should You Buy Travel Medical Insurance?
Knowing when you should buy travel medical insurance can help protect you in the event of an accident outside of Canada. At Mountainview Insurance, we understand how important it is to have the right amount of medical coverage when travelling abroad. That is why we offer a range of travel insurance options, including medical insurance.
Why Buy Travel Medical Insurance?
Travel medical insurance is recommended for anyone who is planning on travelling outside of Canada, even if it is only a day trip to the United States. Since emergencies and accidents can happen at any given moment, ensuring that you have the right medical coverage can help protect you from having to pay hefty medical expenses.
Before travelling outside of Canada, it is important to check your domestic health insurance plan to see if it offers any coverage outside of the country. Chances are that it will not, and you will need to purchase additional medical insurance for travelling.
Who Should Buy Travel Medical Insurance?
Some of the different types of travellers who should seriously consider purchasing travel medical insurance before leaving the country include:
- Backpackers, adventure travellers, and eco-tourists—These types of travellers tend to explore remote, isolated regions where there is a lack of medical facilities. Extra medical evacuation insurance can provide these travellers with coverage in emergency situations.
- Tourists and vacationers—Travel medical policies can provide tourists and vacationers, whether they are in a third-world country or an all-inclusive resort, with coverage for everything from a sprained ankle to political evacuation.
- Business travellers—Since this type of traveller tends to travel frequently, they are more likely to experience a travel mishap at some point. Some travel medical policies can also provide additional travel benefits (trip interruption, lost checked luggage, travel delay, etc.).
- Missionaries and service workers—These types of travellers tend to serve in underdeveloped countries where there is an abundance of illness and infection. A travel medical policy can provide access to quality healthcare, as well as financial help in the event of an injury or illness.
- Students studying abroad—While having international health insurance is not always a requirement for studying abroad, purchasing a travel medical policy is always a good idea, especially for students who are not familiar with the healthcare system of their host country. International student health insurance is specifically designed to help protect students who are studying abroad.
If you would like to learn more about when you should buy travel medical insurance, or if you are interested in one of our travel insurance products, please contact Mountainview Insurance at 604-557-0255.