Is Tenant Insurance Mandatory in BC?

Categories: Tenant Insurance

Knowing whether or not tenant insurance is mandatory in BC will help ensure that you are properly protecting your belongings. At Mountainview Insurance, we want to help you protect your worldly possessions from potential hazards, such as theft, fire, or floods. That is why we offer a selection of insurance products like tenant insurance.

How much does tenant insurance cost?

Are You Required to Have Tenant Insurance in BC?

While having tenant insurance is not required by law in BC, some landlords may require renters to have tenant insurance as part of their lease agreement. Before signing a lease agreement, it is important to know exactly what has been agreed to, as well as to consider purchasing tenant insurance, even if it is not stipulated in the agreement.

Many renters, who are struggling to pay rent and their bills, decide to pass on adding the extra expense of tenants insurance; however, while tenant insurance may not be for everyone, it is important to keep in mind that you could be putting yourself at risk by not having it.

Learn more about why you should buy tenant insurance.

What Does Tenant Insurance Cover?

Knowing which items are covered with tenant insurance is important before purchasing. Even though tenant insurance policies tend to differ from company to company and from person to person, most tenant insurance policies come with:

Personal Possessions Coverage

Tenant insurance policies can provide coverage for a range of personal possessions, such as clothes, furniture, appliances, and electronics. In the event of a disaster that destroys your rental unit like a fire or flood, your tenant insurance can help replace any personal possessions lost due to a disaster.

Liability Insurance

Liability insurance helps protect you in the event that you accidentally cause damage to another tenant’s rental unit in your building. Your tenant insurance will help cover the cost of paying for expensive building repairs and possessions that were damaged as a result of the accident.

Displacement Insurance

Displacement insurance can help cover the cost of paying for a hotel or other living expenses in the event that you are forced to temporarily leave your home due to a natural disaster, such as a wildfire.

If you would like to learn more about whether or not tenant insurance is mandatory in BC, or if you are interested in one of our insurance products, please contact Mountainview Insurance at 604-557-0255 or by requesting a quote on our website. Mountainview Insurance is proud to provide high-quality insurance products to clients throughout Abbotsford and the surrounding areas.

Get the coverage you need right over the phone

We’re ready to understand your insurance needs and to work for you to get the coverage you need.

604-557-0255 START ONLINE